17 September, 2005

In protest of X

Amazing what kinds of things the symphony makes you think of. I love it for that reason. Good orchestral compositions transcend a mere appreciation or enjoyment of the music itself. It goes much farther, for me, to the point where you are elevated to a much higher level. It takes you to a place of memories and ideas and free thought flies around and you just grab it out of the trees like a leaf. It sounds like I am smoking pot, I know, but hear me out. By the way, I'm not, never have. Take, for example, tonight: approximately 2 pages into the "Moon Reflected on the Second Spring" by Hua Yanjun, I began to ponder. Do we really need the letter X in the alphabet? It serves no purpose except for the silent decoration of French words and the notorious copying of the sound of the letter Z. Which brings up another point: Is it really X that needs to go or Z? If I had to make that decision, I would probably choose X. X is just the cooler of the two letters. Z is a bit choppy and takes a good three strokes to finish (for the sake of argument let's forget that cursive exists) and just when you are gaining momentum you have to change direction. X is two strokes and you can make the last one as strong as your pen desires. ...Or your sword. What if Zorro had been spelled Xorro? He would have had momentum on the second sword swipe and seriously doubt that other guy would've come back for more. Also, much cooler scar. To sum up, I move that we petition for the removal of X or Z (pick your favorite to keep) from the alphabet. 25 letters would suffice...no one ever remembers if there are 26 or 28 letters anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Z?? But that would make me Sarah Spak, and that just looks awful

Laura said...

or sarah sxpak...which might not be quite as polish, but still fairly cool. I don't wish for the abolition of the z/x sound just one of the letters