16 July, 2008

Best Albums of a Lifetime

So, Idolator and the Onion A.V. Club (I am officially a nerd)have posted about this lately and I decided to make mine: The Best Albums of my lifetime according to me. Whatever my favourite album was that came out that year (except for the years I can't recall musical influence in my life like ages 0-3) it goes on the list...no matter how bad.

1982- Thriller- M.J. (since I don't remember it from my infant/fetus days, but love it now, it's totally on the list.) Probably the only thing I'd heard in those two weeks was my dad singing to me and Christmas music. So maybe "Oh, Holy Night."

1983-Either: Madonna-Madonna or Star People-Miles Davis (equally)

1984-Straight Ahead-Amy Grant (ouch)

1985-Songs From the Big Chair-Tears For Fears

1986-True Colors-Cindi Lauper

1987-Joshua Tree-U2

1988-Forever Your Girl-Paula Abdul

1989-Rhythm Nation-Janet Jackson

1990-DC Talk-DC Talk (here we go on this kick...not that I regret it but I'm pretty sure I missed some really good music over the next couple of years)

1991-Heart in Motion-Amy Grant (wish I could say REM-Out of Time or Pearl Jam-Ten or even Toad the Wet Sprocket-Fear, come ON!)

1992-It's a two-way tie between: No Doubt-No Doubt; Not Ashamed-Newsboys

1993-The Sign-Ace of Base; Music Box-Mariah Carey

1994-Grace, Jeff Buckley (though I had not a clue who he was then, so probably was listening to Dookie-Green Day; Superunknown-Soundgarden; or Smash-The Offspring); Greatest Hits I & II-Queen

1995-Collective Soul-Collective Soul; 311-311; Pieces of You-Jewel; Home-Blessid Union of Souls

1996-Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack-Various; Crash-Dave Matthews Band; Sublime-Sublime

1997-The Legend of Chin-Switchfoot; Rock Crown-Seven Mary Three

1998-5-Lenny Kravitz; Hello Nasty-Beastie Boys; Miseducation of Lauryn Hill-Lauryn Hill (this was an interesting year)

1999-Synkronized-Jamiroquai; Mirrorball-Sarah McLachlin; Make Yourself-Incubus

2000-No Strings Attached-*NSync; Parachutes-Coldplay; Stankonia-Outkast; B-Sides-Moby

2001-Jimmy Eat World-Jimmy Eat World; Poses-Rufus Wainwright; Room for Squares-John Mayer

2002-Come Away with Me-Norah Jones; MTV Unplugged-Dashboard Confessional; Details-Frou Frou; Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots-The Flaming Lips; Makeup the Breakdown-HotHotHeat; The Guest-Phantom Planet; O-Damien Rice (very progressive year)

2003-Destination:Beautiful-Mae; Such Great Heights-Postal Service; How to Start A Fire-Further Seems Forever; Dirty Sweet-Jet

2004-Garden State Soundtrack-Various; Absolution-Muse; Hopes and Fears-Keane; Antics-interpol

2005-Some Cities-The Doves; Employment-Kaiser Chiefs; Why Should the Fire Die?-Nickel Creek; ()-Sigur Ros; Come on Feel the Illinoise-Sufjan Stevens

2006-Mute Math-Mute Math; The Greatest-Cat Power; Continuum-John Mayer; Robbers & Cowards-Cold War Kids

2007-Boxer-The National; Armchair Apocrypha-Andrew Bird; Little Voice-Sara Bareilles Once Soundtrack-Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova; Across the Universe Soundtrack-Various

2008-Goodbye Blues-The Hush Sound; Vampire Weekend-Vampire Weekend (and that's only so far this year)

Well, As you can see I'm terrible at picking favourites. Alas, but at least now you see where I came from and the progression to where I am today. Make your own...enjoy!

No comments: